1. How old do I have to be to volunteer?
You must be at least 16 to volunteer.
2. I am in high school or college—can I volunteer?
Absolutely! You must meet the same requirements including age and time commitments as other volunteers.
3. I have a couple of months free—can I volunteer?
Thank you so much for your interest, however, given the training requirements a brief period of volunteering is not feasible.
4. Must I complete a background check?
All applicants 18 or older must successfully complete criminal and credit background checks.
5. Are there internships available?
Internships are handled through the Newseum's Human Resources Department. For information on internships, please click here.
6. What is the volunteer schedule?
There are two shifts every day: 8:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. or 12:45p.m. - 5 p.m. (Weekday volunteers work one shift a week at a minimum and weekend volunteers work one shift every other weekend at a minimum.)
7. My son/daughter is interested in the program—how do they get involved?
Your child needs to read the requirements of the program,and if interested, fill out the application. We will communicate with themdirectly during this process.
8. Are there volunteer opportunities in other departments?
At this time, we are only recruiting for guides.
9. I am interested in volunteering and can meet all of the program's requirements. What do I do next?
Please fill out the online application, and we will get back to you to schedule an interview.
10. When do you hold training for new volunteers?
Spring and fall of each year.