HP New Media Gallery Opens April 27 at Newseum
WASHINGTON — The Newseum, in partnership with technology giant Hewlett-Packard, will open its 15th gallery on April 27, 2012.
The 2,500-square-foot HP New Media Gallery will be the first major gallery opening at the Newseum since 2008.
“The HP New Media gallery will give Newseum visitors a chance to step into a three-dimensional social network,” said Paul Sparrow, senior vice president of broadcasting at the Newseum.
The gallery features five groundbreaking interactive experiences and two video presentations that illustrate the evolution and progression of global media:
- Eight HP tablets in the “Check-In” station allow guests to snap a picture of themselves and post it to the gallery, email to a friend and/or publish on the Newseum’s website.
- In “Choose the News,” visitors can flip through the latest news stories and build a customized tablet-based news page. The news pages are published to a large video wall powered by the HP Photon Engine solution.
- At the “Story Board,” two 11-foot-wide HP VantagePoint touch walls let visitors read and watch milestone moments in the history of new media. Each wall has six monitors that allow up to 12 people to interact simultaneously.
- The “Game Zone” offers four motion-tracking systems to play the trivia quiz “Dunk the Anchor.”
- Two touch-screen monitors, one featuring live Twitter feeds and the other displaying photographs and content from the "Check-In" stations, instantly connect visitors to social networking.
“New media allows people to connect, to discover and to share,” Sparrow said. “They can connect by posting their photograph to the gallery’s large upper screens. They can discover the milestone events in the evolution of new media by using the touch walls. And they can share their opinions about what is important by creating their own news pages.”
The experience continues after visitors leave the gallery. They can visit a dedicated website to download their photos, participate in daily polls and comment on events of the day.